Sunday, 26 March 2017

Great-Grandfather Bjarni

My Icelandic Great-Grandfather, Bjarni


For this layout I used a piece of 49 and Market paper for the background and some digital papers that I printed up from the now defunct, JenWilsonDesigns.com, for the die-cuts and some punched borders.


49 and Market - Scents of Nature
- Tree of Life (back)



These are the dies I used:

Spellbinders - Grand Decorative Circles One
Spellbinders - Floral Assortment







These are the punches I used:


Martha Stewart - Flourish Lace
Martha Stewart - Crochet Star
EK Success - Scalloped Scallop
EK Success - Abstract Flower








I used Sculpey Ultra Light and molds to make the vertical border on the left and the nameplate.  


Prima - Iron Orchid Designs -  Moulding 1
Prima - Iron Orchid Designs - Object Labels 1







For the letters, I used Premo Sculpey and plastic cutters designed for cutting fondant or sugarpaste. The Sculpey Ultra Light was too soft and would stick to the cutters.  I put the Premo Sculpey through a clay machine multiple times to soften and flatten it before cutting out the letters.


FMM - "Script"  Number and Alphabet
Upper Case Tappits set
FMM - "Script"  Alphabet
 Lower Case Tappits set


I glued the letters onto the nameplate after baking and then painted the nameplate and border piece white.  I applied Rock Candy clear Distress Crackle paint and misted them with Lindy's Stamp Gang Sea Grass Green Starburst spray.  I then applied some Colorbox Chestnut Roan Chalk ink.




I did the same finish for the chipboard flourish in the upper right corner.


Dusty Attic - Corner Flourish #2







The larger flowers are by 49 and Market from their Vintage Shades collection in the Ecru colour.  All the smaller flowers are by Wild Orchid Crafts.








Thank you so much for taking a look!





Wednesday, 22 March 2017

John and Elizabeth

My maternal grandparents, John and Elizabeth



For this layout I used two pieces of a TPC Studios paper from their Ancestral collection for both the background and the die-cut mat and doilies.


I did three different machine stitches around the border of the paper.  The first attempt ripped through the paper and I didn't have a spare sheet so I put a little piece of chipboard over the area that was torn and another on the opposite corner to balance the look.










These are the dies and punch I used:


Spellbinders
- Romantic Rectangles 2
Cheery Lynn Designs
- Polynesian Sails Oval
Tattered Lace
- Ornate Leaves
Martha Stewart
- Swirling Lace punch





I layered most of the die-cuts over a darker version to accentuate the edges.  I did not layer the spikey leaves because they were too thin and delicate.

The larger flowers are by 49 and Market from their Vintage Shades collection in the sage colour.




These are the chipboard pieces I used:


Dusty Attic
- deVine Frame Set
Dusty Attic
- Mini Corner #1


I painted the smaller pieces from the deVine Frame Set and then applied a white wash overtop to soften the colour and add dimension.





I applied a white crackle finish to the Mini Corner pieces and rubbed them with brown ink.







The large flourish was made with a mold and Sculpey Ultra Light.  I glued the 3 separate pieces together with Sculpey Bake & Bond before baking.  I then sealed the piece with matte medium and applied a thick layer of Picket Fence Distress Crackle Paint.  When it was dry I brushed it with Prima Parthenay Artisan powder, wiped off the excess and then dragged blue and white paint along the raised areas with my finger.

Prima - Iron Orchid Designs
-Vintage Art Decor Moulds - Large Flourish









Thank you so much for taking a look!





Saturday, 18 March 2017

Pretty Dress and Bonnet

My mother, Cecilia, when she was little




For this layout I used a couple of pieces of Blue Fern Studios paper.


Blue Fern Studios - Tranquility - Serenity
(I used this for the background)
Blue Fern Studios - Serendipity - Calling Cards
( I used the backside for the die-cuts)




These are the dies I used:

Cheery Lynn Designs
Deutschland Boutique Stacker A2 Frame
Cheery Lynn Designs
Kiwi Spirit Doily
Tattered Lace
Ornate Leaves
My Favorite Things
Mini Delicate Doilies
Cheery Lynn Designs
Polynesian Sails Oval
Lifestyle Crafts
Nesting Doily Circles

As always I layered the die-cuts over a darker version, offsetting them slightly, to accentuate the edges.  This works particularly well when the die-cuts are similar in colour to the background and would otherwise almost seem to disappear.




These are the chipboard pieces I used:


Dusty Attic
Flutterbies #3
Dusty Attic
Chicken Wire Panel
Dusty Attic
Mini Picket Fence





I painted the Flutterbies in layers, using progressively lighter colours to create a gradient effect on the wings.






The chicken wire was painted using a sponge stippler with taupe, brown and white paint to give a subtle mottled effect.






I did a white crackle finish on the mini fence pieces.




The scrolls underneath and to the left of the photo were made with a mold and Sculpey Ultra Light.  I painted them white in preparation for doing a wash over them to accentuate the details but decided to leave them plain instead.

First Impressions Molds
Embellishment 12




I applied random patches of Prima Art Stones around the layout and used some brown watercolour paint to add a bit of shading to them.  I also used the watercolour around the edges of the layout and around the Flutterbies to add a bit of dimension.






Some of the flowers I used were a gift from my friend Lisa.  Thank you Lisa!







Thank you so much for taking a look!