Monday, 27 April 2015

Halloween Puppy

My son, Evan, in 2002


When my boys were younger I made a number of Halloween costumes for them. Not quite sure why. I hated sewing when I was forced to do it for Family Studies/ Home Ec class in middle school.  But as a stay-at-home mom I figured I was obligated to put in some extra effort at something, lol.  This was my first attempt at using a sewing pattern in 2001. Unfortunately, I made it way too large so Evan didn't wear it until the following year  (I made another smaller one that he wore in 2001 and lent the larger one to my niece that year).



For this layout, I made my own background again with Ranger Specialty Stamping paper, stencils, molding paste and Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays.



These are the stencils I used:


Tim Holtz - Latticework
Prima - Floral Petites
Prima - 12"x12" Crackle





These are the Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays I used:


Van Dyke Sepia
Red Hot Poker Orange
Cocoa Bean Copper
Cattail Copper Brown
Mission Bells Brown


The die-cuts were cut from a dark brown thin metal sheet and then sanded lightly. Most of the coloured metal sheets available now are rather bright. The dark brown piece I used was an old one from my stash from Ten Seconds Studio.  You can make your own custom colours by cutting the pieces from plain aluminum sheets and painting them with Vintaj Patina paints before sanding.



These are the dies I used:

Spellbinders - Labels 47 Decorative Elements
(note:the actual die lacks some of the border details pictured here)
Spellbinders - Splendid Circles











The chipboard flourish is by 2Crafty.







Here are some more close-ups:














Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. Totally adore your work on this layout Tracy. From the die cuts(you are always coming up with a new technique!) to the choice of flowers-loving those mixed colored and tiny rosebuds ones. You'll have to tell me how you achieved the rusty effect on the ferns(surprise, I have them in my stash too ;-) Hope you are proud and happy with this layout. The only thing missing is one of your little pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. The brown colour of the felt ferns was a little lighter and brighter than I liked so I just painted them a darker brown and dabbed on a bit of lighter brown. I did think of putting a clay pumpkin on this layout, but I couldn't find a good placement for it (would have preferred a smaller one).

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful work of art Tracy! Now that I have read the glorious details on your blog, I absolutely LOVE the metal die cuts! WOW! That would be right up my alley! I would love to try that out, so hope you don't mind. You have this texturing perfected! This is definitely your calling! Keep it up - it's so interesting and wonderful to look at! Really fabulous work, Lisa : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy, I like this work very much. Wonderful colours and flowers and all the beautiful dies, great!!!
    LG Petra

    ReplyDelete