|My son, Colin, on June 23, 2006|
This 12" x 12" layout is my entry for the April mood board challenge at Scrap Around the World. I used the colours from the mood board.
|Scrap Around the World - April Mood Board|
I feel like I've been in a rut with my last few layouts so I wanted to do something a little less "controlled". I'm always a bit nervous using stencils and sprays because I tend to wreck quite a few sheets of beautiful paper and get very discouraged. This time I used a plain sheet so I wouldn't beat myself up (as much) if it ended up in the trash.
I began with a plain white piece of Ranger Specialty Stamping paper (I like the way the mists don't soak into this kind of paper and you have more time to manipulate them). I applied some molding paste with stencils in the center of the paper, overlapping the patterns in places. Then I dripped blotches of mist (by Lindy's Stamp Gang) in several different colours over the top. I used some Flat Fabio sprays and Starbursts that added some shimmer to it.
I set it aside for quite a while after that, not sure what to do next. Finally I tried doing some random punching around the edges of the paper which looked awful. To cover that up, I scrunched up small strips of white tissue paper and a few bits of cheesecloth and glued them all around the edges and dripped more of the mists overtop. It probably would have looked better if I had remembered the exact coloured mists I had used on the center portion but I had set it aside for so long and cleaned up all my supplies in between so I had to guess. I was also a bit more heavy-handed with the mists this time and the colour looked too dark and distracting so I brushed white paint over top to soften the look and highlight the texture. I also distressed the edges of the paper.
At this point I was thinking "Oh well, it's this far gone, might as well just go nuts with texture". I added bits of drywall tape and corrugated cardboard brushed with white paint and did some more stencilling with molding paste over the drywall tape.
Then I just added the embellishments: some white roses sprayed with the same dark mist used on the background, chipboard gears, coconut buttons. a small piece of lace, a berry stem, some prima metal and resin pieces, wood veneer asterisks, and a bunch of Petaloo flowers.
I painted the chipboard gears with a metallic black paint and then sprayed them with black, copper and turquoise coloured mists by Lindy's Stamp Gang.
Here are some more close-ups:
Thanks for looking!